Are you considering trying a natural deodorant for the first time? Or maybe you’ve tried one or two (or seven) and none of them have worked? Before making the switch, it’s helpful to understand what happens when you stop using antiperspirant and start using an aluminum-free deodorant.
Here are the things you need to know about making the switch:
How does antiperspirant work?
In order to understand what it takes to adjust to an aluminum-free deodorant, you need to understand how antiperspirant works.
Antiperspirant contains aluminum to help prevent perspiration (or sweating). The aluminum disrupts your body's natural sweating process by absorbing into your sweat duct and forming a temporary gel-like plug that prevents sweat from coming out.
What happens when you switch to aluminum-free deodorant?
You might hear a lot of people say they have to “detox” their armpits when they switch to a natural deodorant. Many of our customers do experience an adjustment period when they switch. During this period, many of them report they smell and / or sweat more than usual. The good news is that this is a temporary inconvenience for the vast majority of people we’ve heard from.
How long does it take to adjust?
It depends! For most people who report experiencing an adjustment period, it can be anywhere from 2-4 weeks. And then there are some lucky folks that adjust right away! The moral of the story is to stick it out, at least for one month to see if it will work for you.
How much more will I sweat with aluminum-free deodorant?
Most aluminum-free deodorants contain powders to help absorb wetness - Each & Every contains tapioca starch to help with wetness on the surface of the skin, and we think it does a pretty good job! Some of our customers also note that they sweat less after the adjustment period.
With that said, these powders are not going to have the same effect as aluminum, so you will likely sweat more. For some of our customers, this is occasional and only occurs when it’s hot and humid. Others notice more perspiration daily. And others report that Each & Every keeps them dry pretty much all the time! Getting used to sweat can take some time, but it’s helpful to remember that sweating is a natural process and is beneficial in regulating your body temperature.
Tips for getting through the adjustment period:
We asked some of our VIPs what tips they have for getting through the adjustment period. And here’s what they had to say:
- Wear breathable fabrics until your body adjusts. Go for natural fabrics such as cotton, linen, bamboo, hemp, and wool. Avoid synthetic fabrics, such as polyester, which don’t absorb sweat and can in turn cause more odor-causing bacteria.
- Apply more often in the first 2-4 weeks. Applying at night can help reduce odor-causing bacteria. Additionally, a travel size or mini deodorant with you in your purse so you can touch up throughout the day if you notice odor. Our 4 piece and 8 piece mini discovery sets are a lifesaver!
- Use a good antibacterial soap in the shower to help with the odor causing bacteria. Make sure to dry your underarms well after getting out of the shower, as excess moisture can make odor worse.
- Take hot baths or spend some time running hot water on your underarms in the shower to help open your pores.
- Choose a cooler, less humid time of the year to make the switch. Fall, Winter and Spring are all great times to switch!
- Stay hydrated during the adjustment period. Drinking enough water is important, especially since you may be sweating more in the first few weeks.
- Be patient! Give it at least a month to ensure your body has had enough time to adjust.
Why choose Each & Every?
There are a ton of natural deodorants on the market, so it can be daunting and confusing to determine which you should choose. We recommend regardless of what you choose that you do research, because there are no regulations around claiming a product is “clean”, and some of the aluminum-free deodorants on the market still contain ingredients that aren’t so natural. The Environmental Working Group (EWG) Skin Deep Database is a great resource while you’re researching brands and ingredients.
Here are a few things that differentiate Each & Every from the others on the market.
- EWG Verified - We are one of a select few to be verified by the EWG. This means its free of EWG’s chemicals of concern and meets their strictest standards for health. It means full transparency for both ingredients and manufacturing standards.
- Designed with sensitive skin in mind - We leave out ingredients that can cause irritation, such as baking soda and synthetic fragrances.
- Easy, smooth application - Many other deodorants on the market are grainy and tough to apply - kind of like rubbing a dry bar of soap on your skin! But E&E has a smooth, creamy and luxe feel, making it easy to apply and preventing any irritation of tugging.
- Natural Fragrance - Our deodorants are scented with essential oils and absolutely no synthetic or engineered fragrances. We source these from all over the world depending on the type of oil - for example, French lavender oil, citrus oils from Italy, and pine from Canada - ensuring we use only top quality oils in our deodorants.
- No stains - Our deodorant goes on clear, on every skin tone. Just apply, wait a few seconds for it to dry, and get dressed. No white marks, no yellow stains, and no dark pits.
- Cruelty-free and vegan - E&E is certified vegan and cruelty-free. We don’t use any animal byproducts (such as beeswax) and we do absolutely NO animal testing.
You can shop our Introductory Kits below. And if you’ve given E&E a try for a month and it’s not working for you, rest assured that we have a money-back guarantee. You can contact us at email@example.com.