Taking care of our physical, mental, and emotional health is more important than ever. Research shows that practicing self-care can reduce stress, calm the mind and restore a sense of calm. And we could all use a bit of that right now. Self-care doesn't have to be elaborate. It can be a series of small, deliberate steps that you take to prioritize your own needs and treat yourself.
Here are 10 ways to get started:
- Breathe - In through your nose, out through your mouth. Relax your shoulders. Deep, purposeful breaths.
- Pamper - Treat yourself to an hour of indulgence. Take a bath, light candles, find a quiet place.
- Connect - Call your family. Video call your loved ones. Check on your parents, children, and grandparents.
- Move - Move your body. Take a walk. Stream an online fitness class. Find ways to incorporate more steps into your day.
- Create - Learn a new skill. Create a piece of art or music. Get your creative juices flowing.
- Read - Let your mind escape into a new story. Immerse yourself in a new world with new characters.
- Dance - Get the music flowing and shake a lil' something. Shake it out. Shake it off.
- Rest - Be still. Let your body and your mind relax.
- Stretch - Loosen your muscles and improve flexibility by stretching your body. It can wake your muscles and relieve tension.
- Gratitude - intentionally weaving a gratitude habit into your daily schedule can do wonders for your mental health, even when times are hard. You can incorporate gratitude into your existing routine by mentally noting what you're thankful for during your morning shower or skin routine. You can also keep a gratitude journal to see the blessings pile up.
Show yourself love. You're doing great.