One of our most frequently asked questions is "how are you different than other natural deodorants?" This is a great question because there are so many choices and new products on the market. What makes us different is our commitment to product standards - both in the ingredients we use and the performance we deliver with our products. The truth is, there are a lot of bogus claims out there. Because the beauty industry is mostly self-regulated, companies often make outrageous claims that are unsupportable and it can be hard to know what to trust. Read below for more information about our standards, how we define them, and how they stack up against other common natural brands.
- Ingredient Safety. This is our #1 priority. We define ingredient safety through the Environmental Working Group's Skin Deep database. The Environmental Working Group is a non-profit organization that specializes in research and advocacy to empower people to live healthier lives in a healthier environment. Their Skin Deep database scans personal care products and their ingredient lists against scientific research and toxicity, chemical hazards, and regulatory databases, to assign a safety rating for each ingredient and the overall product, so that you know exactly what you’re putting on your body. EWG has rated our product and our ingredients and they show up as green for low health and hazard risk in the Skin Deep database! This is the highest ranking you can receive from EWG. We have taken that commitment a step further and received the EWG Verified mark on our products. EWG Verified means that it’s free of EWG’s chemicals of concern and meets their strictest standards for health. It means full transparency. It means good manufacturing practices to further ensure safety. It means a product you can feel good about! In addition to EWG's safety assessment, we conduct our own safety testing, including screening for allergens, purity, contaminants, and toxicity.
- Ingredient Transparency. It is not legally required for all ingredients to be listed on an ingredient label. This is most concerning for "fragrance" or "parfum" which is an ingredient name that can be used to hide up to 3,000 chemicals in products. Even products that claim "natural fragrance" are not disclosing the raw materials used to make up the product. We believe that knowledge is power and we want you to know everything that is in our deodorant so that you can be sure it's safe to use. We list every single ingredient, including the individual essential oils that we use to make our scents. Our advice is to check your labels, research ingredients you don't understand, and avoid using products that don't disclose all ingredients so that you know what you're putting on your body.
Ethical Sourcing - ingredient sourcing is just as important to us as ingredient safety. We believe that you should know where ingredients come from and how they get into our product. Unlike most product on the market, we do not take off-the-shelf ingredients from large chemical suppliers. Instead, we hand-select our ingredient suppliers based on their ingredient quality and adherence to our sourcing standards. We visit the farms where our ingredients are grown, we meet with the distillers to watch the distillation process, and we discuss the sustainable sourcing methods they use to ensure we're replenishing the Earth. The standards we hold our suppliers to include:
- Sustainable Harvesting - ensuring our suppliers consider the long-term vitality of the local ecology, including the surrounding environment and animal welfare
- Natural Distillation - ensuring plants are distilled using only process that meet international ISO standards leading to no synthetic materials in essential oil fragrance
- Cruelty-Free Safety Testing - ensuring no animal testing on our ingredients or end product
- Vegan Ingredients - ensuring no animal-derived ingredients
- Fair Labor Practices - ensuring no child labor, fair pay, and safe and humane working conditions where our ingredients are grown
- Elevated Aesthetics - when we were designing Each & Every, we were frustrated by other products out there that were hard and pulled the skin when applying. We knew that we wanted our formulation to go on silky smooth so we challenged our formulation team design a stick deodorant that was luxurious to apply. We also wanted to ensure that our product didn't leave pesky white or yellow stains on clothes, so our formulation team minimized the powder and waxes that often lead to staining.
- Sensitive Skin Friendly - most natural deodorant use baking soda to control odor. While baking soda is a good odor fighter it can also cause skin irritation because baking soda raises the pH of the skin really high, really fast and can lead to irritation for some people. We use dead sea salt to control odor instead. It raises the pH of the skin more gradually to kill bacteria, lessening the chance of irritation while also providing longer-lasting odor protection.
- Performance - "natural products don't work" - this is a belief we've all held and was a big motivator when we were creating Each & Every. We wanted to create a product that actually worked, so we challenged ourselves to design a product that would deliver odor protection equivalent to an antiperspirant. We spent over a year in development, iterating on the formula until we achieved this huge milestone! We are proud to say that not only does Each & Every work, but it's controls odor as well as antiperspirant without plugging your pores with aluminum. So you can get the performance you're used to from mainstream products without worrying about what you're putting on your body.
Here's how Each & Every stacks up against other natural deodorants: