There is a wealth of advice for women on how to switch to natural products, but there’s very little information out there for men. And why not? Men’s grooming products are just as important in their daily routine, and many of them have the same health and safety concern as women’s products. We've rounded up our top 5 tips on how to clean up your grooming routine so that you can easily switch to natural, safe products.
Tips for making clean swaps:
- Start small: Switching to natural products doesn’t have to be a daunting or outrageously expensive endeavor. You don’t have to replace all of your products right away, you can make impactful changes just by swapping 1 or 2 products at a time. When deciding which products to swap first, think about the products that you use most frequently and / or products that cover the largest surface area of your body.
- Learn how to read labels: Labels are confusing and contain a lot of complex chemicals that many of us have never heard of. Chemicals in themselves aren’t necessarily bad, which is why we recommend using a resource, such as the EWG’s Skin Deep App to help assess the safety of and available data for ingredients in your products. You can also read more on how to read labels here.
- Be careful with fragrance: Fragrance is in almost every product we put on our skin or use in our home. And many men’s products are heavily scented with synthetic fragrance. Check out some of your product labels, and you’ll certainly see “fragrance”, “parfum” - or even “natural fragrance” on ingredient labels. Legally, companies are not required to list what ingredients are used in their fragrance, and there can be hundreds to thousands of ingredients in the fragrance that are unlisted. Often, ingredients like phthalates and parabens are included in the fragrance formula. When searching for scented products that have clean ingredients, look for products that say “no synthetic fragrance” or list every essential oil and fragrance component on their ingredient label. And note that even when “natural fragrance” is listed on a label, it can still contain synthetics that are unlisted. If a product uses only natural fragrance, you will see only plant names listed on the label.
- Make easy swaps: There are likely products that you use currently that you can easily swap for natural products without noticing a substantive difference. For example, swapping body wash for a natural bar soap or switching from a traditional deodorant / antiperspirant to a natural deodorant are relatively easy swaps. Tip: Winter is the perfect time to switch to a natural deodorant due to the cooler temps. Find more info on switching to a natural deodorant here.
- Be patient and stick with it: It can take time to find the right products that work for you and give you the look and feel you like. Be patient and give yourself time for your body to adjust and to find your new favorite products. Whenever possible, try to buy trial or travel sizes of new products so you’re not committing to something for several months or collecting a graveyard of personal care products that you don’t actively use.
While switching to natural products may be a slight adjustment, the good news is there are more options than ever to help you look and feel good without compromise. You can shop Each & Every products below.